Okay, so I think I might be going through a mid-life crisis way early!!! Let me explain why... a few weeks ago I went to Sephora for a makeup consultation and LOVED it! It was so fun just to spend a few hours talking with an expert and getting some fun makeup advice. I enjoyed it so much that I thought "why stop with makeup?". HA!
So with some prompting from my sister-in-law, here I go to Salon Visage in Knoxville for a hair consultation with these very young, and very trendy stylists. Mistake #1: my request was to be a "trendy mommy". Mistake #2: I didn't know the lingo. I'll elaborate. In the future, know that "richening your color" means turning it WAY dark and "cranberry" really means pink. (Do you see where I'm going?) And lastly, Mistake #3: when asked "how short are you willing to go", be brutally honest and forthcoming with your answer. Do not reply "depends on what you suggest". :) I think that the color or the cut alone would have been dramatic enough, but together you seriously will not recognize me, but think that I am just some random "trendy mommy"! My favorite comment so far has been from my mom.... "You look like one of those angry people so you're just going to have to smile a lot"! :) After washing it and styling it myself, I must say that I look pretty darn cool and the cut itself could not be easier to style (great for the time crunched mom).
So my question is "Do all 1st time mom's go through a period of needed rebirth as an individual apart from the child?". I think it's all about defining your identity as more than a "mom" and avoiding becoming a "shlumpadinka" as Oprah would put it. Has anyone else done something drastic with their look or made any rash decisions after their 1st child? I just want all you new moms out there to know that you CAN still be hip and trendy! HA! I will be sure to post pics later!
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
awaiting pics!
Your hilarious! Yes, I think everyone does crazy things to prove they can still be with it and be a Mom! I am sure it looks great, but must say I'm way dissappointed there were no pics at the end of this post! Can't wait to see some!
I am waiting as well! I did the exact same thing. After spending 2 years diligently (spelling?) growing out my hair, I wacked it off after Connor was born. You can only do so many pony tails before you start to lose your mind! I am sure it looks great! I have also learned my lesson the hard way about carefully explaining what you are wanting when it comes to a trendy "short" new do!
I think the bigger question is "what new mom has NOT gone through this?" These thoughts are always in my mind when I go shopping, to get a haircut, etc. We can (try to) be trendy moms together:)I am sure it looks great- can't wait to see it!
I have so been there, too!!! Braden was 4 months old and I went from a mid-length bob to 1 inch spiky hair?! I literally would get out of the shower and gel it into my style and be done - the fastest hairdo ever. I came to my senses 3 months later and grew it out again. I had a mid-length bob with Andrew as well but made it to 1 year before I chopped it again. I cut it only a little shorter 2 months ago and then last month I went a lot shorter (not as short as when Braden was 4 mos.). I liked it for 3 weeks and now I'm growing it out again! As a mommy, you will find yourself constantly searching for ways to show that you are still fun and hip but you also have to remember to be practical. Can't wait to see pics!!!
I thought I was going to see a picture!! I won't even get into the re-invetion of self when having babies...it has cost me lots of time, money and closet space! I can't wait to see.
We need pictures! I can't wait to see it. You are too funny!! What's next? You are on a roll. What was Jay's comment?
Post a Comment