Eli turned 4 months yesterday!!! It is hard to believe, except for the fact that he is learning new things every day. It really is amazing how quickly they start to pick up new actions and sounds during this stage. This week we tried to incorporate some rice cereal in his bottle... frustrating to him and us since I obviously don't have the right type of bottle nipples and he can't get it out! Poor Jay spent 40 minutes the other night while I was at work trying to get him to take 4 oz! So we've decided just to skip that and move right on to teaching him via spoon. He is sitting up when propped and bringing everything to his mouth, so we thought "why not?". Although he doesn't seem to "LOVE IT", he does get mad when you stop feeding him. His favorite part is chewing on the spoon. (Should I let him or is this going to cause problems later?) I guess we do the rice thing til 6 months, then the real fun begins! We are going to see Dr. John next week for our 4 month well-baby check, so we'll ask him about how to transition then. We'd love any advice on baby foods (brands, flavors, etc). Here's some of my favorite pics from Eli's first couple of tries at eating with a spoon. Needless to say, there's more on his face than in his mouth!
This really brought back memories! How funny that people don't really tell you things you need to know... like there are Y cut nipples for rice cereal! Ha. I learned that one on my own, too! But, he looks like he is doing really well with the spoon. And, you won't scar him by letting him chew on the spoon. It may be good for teething! Thanks for the jog down memory lane!
Fun times - I loved it when Braden and Andrew started on solids just because it was something new to do! Andrew didn't take to rice cereal very well but absolutely loved oatmeal. Braden loved it all. Don't worry about the spoon - like Brandi said - it's good for teething :) I was a Gerber girl with both boys - anything they made, I bought and tried (we're still using Gerber Graduates for Andrew!). We never gave cereal in a bottle - wanted the boys to learn food came from a plate/bowl/spoon plus I read that giving it in a bottle can lead to easier choking and too much intake of food/calories at one sitting. Good luck!
Oh I loved this time...but it was frustrating too, I felt like I had so many questions and never really knew what I was doing! Don't do exactly what anyone else has done, b/c I promise it will be different for you. Just take everyones advice and do what works best for you. God gave you Mommy instinct for a reason. Hang in there, he will get it soon. Kiley never really like it by spoon, but we did it in her bottle. Some say this isn't good, but it worked great for us and we did it at night, it really did help her to sleep longer even though they say it doesn't. Anyways we used the Avent bottles and the nipples that have a slit in the end instead of a hole. This allowed her to take it that way. Start with a little and then add more so he can get used to it and not get choked. Also I did not know this until someone told me but the Chicco highchair reclines (the button is in the back). This helps when they aren't really sitting up yet then you don't have to try and sit them straight up in the highchair, sometimes when they aren't sitting up yet it is hard for them to bend that way! As far as baby food goes I have always stuck with Gerber. We did peas, green beans first b/c they were stronger tasting. That got her used to them first and then started with sweeter more tolerable things like fruits and sweet potatoes. Hope this helps!! Also the more the sweet potatoes, the tanner he will look! :)
3 comments:
This really brought back memories! How funny that people don't really tell you things you need to know... like there are Y cut nipples for rice cereal! Ha. I learned that one on my own, too! But, he looks like he is doing really well with the spoon. And, you won't scar him by letting him chew on the spoon. It may be good for teething! Thanks for the jog down memory lane!
Fun times - I loved it when Braden and Andrew started on solids just because it was something new to do! Andrew didn't take to rice cereal very well but absolutely loved oatmeal. Braden loved it all. Don't worry about the spoon - like Brandi said - it's good for teething :) I was a Gerber girl with both boys - anything they made, I bought and tried (we're still using Gerber Graduates for Andrew!). We never gave cereal in a bottle - wanted the boys to learn food came from a plate/bowl/spoon plus I read that giving it in a bottle can lead to easier choking and too much intake of food/calories at one sitting. Good luck!
Oh I loved this time...but it was frustrating too, I felt like I had so many questions and never really knew what I was doing! Don't do exactly what anyone else has done, b/c I promise it will be different for you. Just take everyones advice and do what works best for you. God gave you Mommy instinct for a reason. Hang in there, he will get it soon. Kiley never really like it by spoon, but we did it in her bottle. Some say this isn't good, but it worked great for us and we did it at night, it really did help her to sleep longer even though they say it doesn't. Anyways we used the Avent bottles and the nipples that have a slit in the end instead of a hole. This allowed her to take it that way. Start with a little and then add more so he can get used to it and not get choked. Also I did not know this until someone told me but the Chicco highchair reclines (the button is in the back). This helps when they aren't really sitting up yet then you don't have to try and sit them straight up in the highchair, sometimes when they aren't sitting up yet it is hard for them to bend that way! As far as baby food goes I have always stuck with Gerber. We did peas, green beans first b/c they were stronger tasting. That got her used to them first and then started with sweeter more tolerable things like fruits and sweet potatoes. Hope this helps!! Also the more the sweet potatoes, the tanner he will look! :)
Post a Comment